Richard F. Hussey PA.

Call Now For An Assessment Of Your Needs

(954) 462-7500
Richard F. Hussey PA.

It is the body of law dealing with nautical issues and private disputes involving vessels and actions that occur at sea.

What Laws Provide Protection For Injured Maritime Workers?

General maritime law and the Jones Act protect injured maritime workers.

How Much Time Do I Have To File A Claim?

Most claims must be brought within 3 years. However, as with any case, the sooner a claim is initiated, the better.

What Should I Do If I Am Injured?

Report the injury to your employer immediately and contact a lawyer as soon as possible. Take photos of the area where the injury occurred and of the injury itself. Gather the names and contact information for any and all witnesses.

What Is My Case Worth?

The value of your case is dependent on a number of factors. Your compensation will differ if you are deemed a “seaman” v. someone else who works on or near the water. If you are deemed a “seaman,” you may sue your employer under the Jones Act for negligence, you may sue the vessel’s owner under the doctrine of unseaworthiness, and you are entitled to “maintenance and cure” regardless of fault. Under the Jones Act, an injured seaman can recover the same damages as those awarded in a personal injury case, past and future medical expenses, lost income and loss of capacity to earn money in the future, and past and future pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of the capacity for the enjoyment of life.

Will I Be Able To Recover Money Even If I Am Partially At Fault?


Can I Afford A Maritime Attorney?

Yes, because most cases can be handled on a contingency fee basis. This means that you pay no attorney’s fees unless you receive a recovery, and the fee is a percentage of the recovery.

How Does The Jones Act Apply To Me As A Maritime Worker?

Because you may not recover under any worker’s compensation law, under the Jones Act, you may sue your employer and recover the same types of damages as are recoverable in a personal injury case.

What Is My Employer’s Obligation Under The Jones Act?

Your employer has an obligation to provide you with a reasonably safe place to work and use ordinary care under the circumstances to maintain the vessel in a reasonably safe condition.

For more information on Admiralty/Maritime Law Cases In Florida, an initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (954) 462-7500 today.

Richard F. Hussey PA.

Call Now For An Assessment Of Your Needs
(954) 462-7500